Saturday, November 12, 2011

Marylyn's Pie Story

Jerry, Marylyn, and Lisa
Well...the story isn't all that long. It all started when I was growing up and my mother didn't really teach me how to cook or let me help me in the kitchen. I am the same way...I hate messes...not good because your children don't learn how to cook until they go away to college or get married and are forced to learn. Anyway, Jerry and I were very serious about getting married and I went out to Myton for a little visit with my future mother and father-in-law. Well, of course, I wanted to make a GREAT impression...right? We all know what a fabulous pie maker Grandma Murray was and how much we all loved her pies. I wanted to be a good pie maker like her so that I could always make Jerry proud and make him and my children pies that were every bit as good as Grandma's. Jerry and Grandpa left the house and went up to the farm. When they returned, I was trying my best to roll out a pie crust. I had absolutely NO experience at doing this, but I didn't think it could be too hard. I was rolling up and down and back and forth doing this when Jerry and Grandpa came in the door. I was having a bit of a struggle, but was determined to do it. All of a sudden, Grandpa spoke up - and, he hardly ever spoke up - especially to me - and told me that I had to roll the pie crust perfectly round to fit the pie plate. Because I had had no experience, because I was naive, because I believed him and wanted very much to show him I could do it, I rolled and rolled and rolled and tried my darndest to get that stupid pie dough perfectly round to fit over the pie plate. After watching me struggle for a while and probably getting a good silent laugh between them ( I can just see Grandpa's face now) they finally let me in on the joke, after Grandma came to my rescue and told me I really didn't have to roll it round because you could just place the dough in the round pie plate and then cut the excess dough off. Because of this one very traumatic event in my life, I have never become a pie maker. In fact, I never even try. If a pie is ever made in our house, Jerry makes and rolls out the pie crust and I make the filling. I decided to let Grandma Murray, my wonderful mother-in-law, remain the legendary pie maker in the Murray family and I focused on becoming a good cookie baker! 







No comments:

Post a Comment