Sunday, March 18, 2012

Scottish Apple Pie (4 Stars)

39
Scottish Apple Pie
3/18/12

I wanted to make a pie with a St. Patrick's Day theme but wasn't interested in just adding green food coloring. I remembered this recipe we found back in 2005 on the epicurious.com website. Although its not Irish the Murray's are from Scotland so I thought, close enough. Evelyn Herring posted this explanation: "My mother was raised in Scotland and learned to cook at a time when quality ingredients were hard to come by. She had to be imaginative, often substituting ingredients and improvising recipes." The ginger snaps add the spice and the orange marmalade and zest give it an interesting flavor.










Crust: 2 crust buttermilk

Filling:
6 -7 large Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
1/3 cup marmalade
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange peel zest

Glaze:
Heavy whipping cream
Coarse sugar












Mix apples, sugar, cookie crumbs, marmalade, raisins, and orange peel in large bowl. Line large pie plate with bottom crust. Pour in filling and top with remaining crust. Brush on whipping cream, cut vents, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in preheated oven at 425 F for 15 minutes. Rotate pie 180 degrees, cover crust edge with foil, bake at 375 F for 40 minutes or until bubbling thickly.

2 comments:

  1. you know what? I've never seen a recipe like this before and i'm Scottish. Traditionally Scottish Apple pie is made with butterscotch and a meringue but this looks delicious! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is almost 100% Scottish so I decided to try this pie tonight. Absolutely delish and nothing like our American version. She is going to love it. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete