Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ella's Applesauce Pie (5 star)

Ella
14
10/22/11

I loved my Mom's applesauce pie. I could pick up a slice in my hand without worrying about it falling apart. There were 6 of us at home; a perfect pie division except when someone wasn't home or if someone didn't want a slice - inconceivable! I would generally get the extra piece, because being the baby of the family has its privileges.I called Sharon to make sure I got the recipe right. There are plenty of recipes online but most of them use eggs so it is more like a custard. This recipe will never be the same as Mom's but it is pretty good.

Simple Double Pie Crust:
3 cups flour
Abby and the finished product
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup refrigerated butter
1/2 cup refrigerated shortening
1/4 cup cold water

1 egg yolk for glaze

Filling:
4 cups applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup cornstarch

Prepare bottom crust in pie plate and refrigerate. Mix applesauce, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and pour into prepared pie plate. Moisten edges with water, cover with top crust and crimp edges. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes, cover edges with tinfoil and continue cooking for 30 - 45 minutes until golden brown.


Applesauce Pie
Applesauce Pie

1 comment: