Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fresh Boysenberry Pie (5 star)

8
9/10/11


Neil's Fresh Boysenberries
I was over at my Dad's this morning and saw he had a lot of ripe boysenberries. Mom planted several thornless boysenberry plants and they are still thriving. He and I picked over six cups of very large and juicy berries. We had purple juice all over our hands (and mouths) and when I got home I noticed I had juice down both arms, on my shirt and pants. We used a modified raspberry pie recipe from "Old Fashioned Pie Recipes" a little book we picked up at "This is the Place State Park." The flavor was really good thanks to fresh juicy berries.

Fresh Boysenberry Pie
Ready for the oven

Filling
6 cups fresh boysenberries
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 Tbs lemon juice

Buttermilk Crust


Abby and pie

Rinse berries, mix sugar and cornstarch. Prepare double crust and line pie plate. Add lemon juice to berries and gently mix in sugar and corn starch. Bake in preheated oven at 425 F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 30 - 35 minutes until filling is bubbly.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie is the best, so far. It set up so nice and the flavor was delicious...extra good because the berries came from Grandpa Murray's house!!

    ReplyDelete